editorial and lifestyle photographers

18 Jun 2014

Photoshop guru.....!

by Vicky Matthers



I had the opportunity recently to photograph some sporting scholars from York University.  The brief was to shoot individual portraits against a black background and then in post production to create a group shot of them all together.



There were 18 scholars in total and it was certainly a busy few hours with people turning up every 10 minutes or so, at one point there was a rather large queue down the corridor!!!



Below are a couple of the individual shots, I used a large metre square soft box to the front and slightly camera left and then two strip soft boxes on the left and right coming back towards the camera:









Then the really hard work began...!  I had to cut out 18 separate images of the athletes to drop in on a black background.  I am not photoshop illiterate but I needed some help from my photoshop guru Lee who showed me the best way to edit them using the wand tool.  I don't think that I have ever worked on an image with 18 layers before, certainly interesting trying to move them around on a small screen!






Amazing what you can do on a few cold winter evenings......!!!